Kelly E. Cook
HOUSTON INSURANCE CLAIMS ATTORNEY
Attorney Kelly E. Cook helps clients in Houston and throughout Texas in disputes with their insurance company. Kelly developed an interest in the legal system very early on. Born and raised in West Virginia, Kelly attended both undergrad and law school on scholarship at the prestigious George Washington University in Washington D.C.
After graduating from law school, Kelly worked for Ashcraft & Gerel, one of the largest personal injury law firms in the United States. While there, Kelly took his first case to trial just nine days after taking the oath as an attorney. His first jury trial followed within the same month. Kelly won both cases and discovered his love of trying cases that continues to this day. While working for Ashcraft & Gerel, Kelly was lead counsel on hundreds of files, and tried over twenty cases to a verdict. Kelly handled motor-vehicle crash cases, premises liability (slip and fall), product liability, and medical malpractice cases. Kelly also enjoyed working with the workers of Maryland as a workers’ compensation attorney arguing hundreds of cases before the Maryland Workers’ Compensation Commission. He had the privilege of arguing before the Court of Special Appeals, and argued a case of first impression before the highest Court in Maryland, the Court of Appeals. Kelly maintains his Maryland license.
In 2007, Kelly moved to Texas and worked for the firm of Kennedy Hodges, where he handled cases involving breach of contract, automobile accidents, medical malpractice, police brutality, 18-wheeler crashes, and other general negligence and personal injury actions throughout Texas. Kelly continued to display his compassion for the working man by handling wage and hour cases for workers who were unfairly and illegally denied minimum wage or overtime, or were even forced to work without pay altogether.
In 2012, Kelly opened his own practice here in Houston, where he had the opportunity to continue working on cases involving car wrecks, premises liability, injured workers, personal injury matters, as well as breach of contract and general business litigation for small businesses. Kelly continued to represent workers in wage and hour matters.
Now, as a partner in Wyly & Cook, PLLC, Kelly uses his unique trial skills, experience and legal knowledge to assist his clients in all matters of litigation, including policyholders whose insurance claims have been wrongfully denied, delayed or underpaid. Kelly is a strong advocate for individuals and small business owners against their insurance companies. Kelly continues to handle cases involving personal injury, unpaid wages and overtime claims and business litigation matters.
Attorney Kelly Cook has been recognized on multiple occasions by his peers as a Super Lawyer and Rising Star in the Texas legal community, which no more than 2.5% of Texas attorneys obtain. He has achieved a “Superb” 10/10 Avvo Rating, and has been recognized by Houstonia magazine as one of the “Top Lawyers” in Houston in 2013. Kelly is a member of the College of the State Bar, an organization recognizing commitment to continuing legal education. Kelly serves on the Board of Directors of the Houston Trial Lawyer Association. Kelly is an active member of the Texas Trial Lawyer Association and served on its Board of Advocates as a leader in the Texas trial lawyer community. Kelly is admitted to practice before the Texas Supreme Court and all State Courts of Texas, as well as the State and Federal Courts of Maryland, and the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas.
Areas of Practice:
- Commercial and Residential First-Party Insurance Claims
- Automobile crashes
- Wage and Hour Litigation (“FLSA/Overtime and Minimum Wage”)
- Catastrophic Injury and Wrongful Death
- Medical Malpractice
- Maryland, 2004
- Texas, 2008
- U.S. District Court for Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- Eastern District of Texas
- J.D., The George Washington University Law School
- Honor: Jacob Burns Scholarship
- B.A. cum laude The George Washington University
- Honor: Honors Scholar
- Honor: Elton Prize
- Major: Classical Humanities
- Minor: Philosophy
Honors and Awards:
- Texas Super Lawyres list: 2016, 2017
- Texas Super Lawyer’s Rising Star: 2013 and 2014
- 10/10 Superb Rating by Avvo
- Member, College of the State Bar
- Included in Houstonia magazine’s “Top Lawyers 2013” list
- Listed in the 40 Under 40 Trial Lawyers by The National Trial Lawyers
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Garland R. Walker American Inn of Court Member
- Houston Trial Lawyers Association, 2008-present
- Houston Trial Lawyers Board of Directors, 2012-present
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association, 2008-present
- Texas Trial Lawyers Board of Advocates 2011-2013
- American Association for Justice 2005-present
- 7th Amendment PAC Board of Directors 2012-2015
- National Employment Lawyers Association
- Ashcraft & Gerel 2004-2007
- Kennedy Hodges 2008-2011
- Law Office of Kelly E. Cook 2012-2013
Pro Bono Activities:
- Volunteer Judge for Mock Trial Tournaments
Call Wyly & Cook, PLLC at 713-236-8330 to schedule your free initial consultation. Learn how Attorney Cook can help you today!